Judge Dee and his Empress

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:05:54 +0900

Claude:
> I play the imperial hierarchy like benevolent parents who look at the
populace like their chidren (the magistrates are called "The father and mother of all" ,
> I stole this from judge Dee books). Let them belive in Santa Claus and the
Tooth fairy, sonner or later they will learn.
> Now if they begin to worship Satan and talk about making human sacrifice,
something must be done....

Yes, but the problem of detective story is, of course, it must be perfectly suited to the form of reality premise and source of judgement must be derived from it, (and readers hope to find solutions and murderers) something difficult to find in fantasy world.

About the series of books and Robert Van Gulik, I don't know it enough. But Judge Dee's model is very extraordinary person in very extraordinary time in Chinese Empire history. For Empress ruled Tang Empire (like Egyptian Pharaoh Hatshepst) and her reign was glorious but she got her throne with iron fists and terror, blood stormed the court, and she was very superstitious and buddhist. (Of course, chinese historians were all influenced by man chauvinistic confucianism...) The model of Dee was a favorite retainer of the Empress.

http://www.teleologic.com/crghome/vangulik.html http://www.wjduquette.com/authors/rvgulik.html

Sincerely
TI

End of Glorantha Digest