Kuyaku and Vormain

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:35:42 +0900

Peter's newest idea according to Revealed Mythology setting:

I see the Gregging Storm approaches, if you go out today, bring an umbrella.

VORMAIN IS NOT JAPAN. but...

Perhaps glorantha-jp readers already know it, I expect perfectly different, two perspectives of each historical events of Vormain...from inside (very hypocritical, shy and naive) and outside (bloodthirsty warmonger Samurais and brigands....).

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:03:44 +1200
> To: glorantha_at_rpglist.org
> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
> Subject: Mythical Vormaini Dynasties
>
> Terra Incognita posts a link to some information about Vithelan
prehistory.
> I'll add my current thinking. The Vormaini are said to have twenty one
> imperial dynasties since the creation.
>
> Before the sundering of Abzered, Vormain and Kralorela were the same land
> (as well as Verenela) so the first three Imperial Houses of Vormain are
the
> same as the Kralori Emperors and whatever saintly personages dwelt in
> Teshnos at that time with Vithelan names given in parenthesis.
>
> Hence:
>
> 1st House TarnGatha (Dogsalu)
>
> Starts after with the Dogsalu War and ends with the Keltari war.

Dogsalu = TarnGatHa is interesting. (But unofficial)

Maybe you already realised, I (and some japanese) revere Ancient China in the way renaissance italians saw Greece. So I wanted to make the starting point of Vormain a little bit late after beginning Kralorela myth. (While we know Japanese Nationalists want to the start of Yamato Dynasty, Emperor Zinmu's reign began in B.C 660.....ridiculous)

> 2nd House HeenMaroun (Govmeranen)
>
> Starts after the Keltari War and ends with Oorsu Sara's first attack
(which
> ends Govmeranen's Reign of Peace and begins Nenduren's Peace).

I want to keep more vague status the mythic age "timeline" before Gregging Storm should rage....I think you decide series of events too rigidly. (But certainly interesting, and Greg might change his mind if he read this.)

> 3rd House Metsyla (Osdero)
>
> Starts after Oorsu Sara's first conquest and ends in the destruction of
> Abzered.
> Thereafter the Imperial Houses rule only over Vormain and suject
territories.

Then you want to delete the setting of area difference of 3rd (Ghenisl) and 4th House (Chadau)? (Or you want to keep them for they are compatible?)

Maybe similar to vague memory of Queendom of Yamatai (Queen Himiko) and Yamato Dynasty....

> 4th House Valzain
>
> Valzain established the traditions and laws of Vormain, including the
> Isolation.
> Unlike Teshnos and Kralorela, Vormain society is mostly as it was in
Valzain's
> time. The end of the house is probably the same event as the End of
> Nenduren's
> Peace, Oorsu Sara's Second War and the God's Cycle.

Face of Silence came to Face of Cacophony.

> 5th House Sekever dynasty.
>
> After Valzain retires, the new house relaxes the rigid Isolation. This
> triggers
> a brief and ghastly reign of horrors that is finally crushed by the heroic
> founders
> of the next house.

In your (or Alex's) old script, 5th Dynasty was the actual beginning of Vormain history. Then, Sekever is the successor of Valzain......

> 6th House
>
> Starts at the same time as Daruda's reign and the start of the Demigod's
> Cycle.
> Instead of divine figures, the Emperors are now human. Famous for the
Happy
> Conquests. Collapses as a result of the Atrocity War (specifically
Janandi's
> second assault). Condemned by modern Vormaino for allowing foreign ideals
> to enter Vormain under the guise of plunder.

I don't know how Daruda worked with Happy Conquerors, maybe they didn't work together at all and thrust Sekever upon each others. (See my unofficial Tale of Thalurzni....)

> 7th House
>
> Notable for the philosophical ideas of the Sage Enrono and the victories
> of the warrior Kumanti Lun. Overthrown from within by corrupt FoShan,
> which the modern Vormaino attribute to foreign ideas.

Kumanti Lun is one of Three Heroes of Austerity War. Though as I said, I don't want to decide too much about the order of events, in your setting perhaps they lived too long, if they were human or demigod, not god. (Even his mentor? Darja Danad retired from forefront of Austerity War before the war ended at the fall of Sortum in Human Cycle...)

> 8th House FoShan Dynasty
>
> An evil dynasty of demonic emperors and wicked antigods.

Or so Kralori thought.

> 9th House KuanKal Dynasty
>
> A dynasty of draconic conquerers. Their alien brutality leads to their
> overthrow
> by Vormaini rebels.

Maybe Brutal and Evil.....under Emperor Vayobi.

> 10th House Rebel Dynasty
>
> A dynasty with good intentions. However it was tragically exterminated in
> the Herespur War when the Great Tsunami washed over Vormain. Modern
> Vormaino believe it was too soft on Isolation.

Or not pure enough to avoid dirt of foreigners. (Japanese might be most shy and naive about their pureness.....) Sorry, Vormain is not Japan. But I think you and Alex's setting Vormain is too warlike. I want to make Vormain is "too pure to invade by dirty hands".

> 11th House Tsunami dynasty.
>
> During the Herespur War, the Isle of Churanpur descends from heaven and
its
> inhabitants menace both Melib and Vormain. A tribe from Churanpur
conquers
> Vormain with the aid of the Great Tsunami. However the cruelty of their
regime
> quickly leads to their overthrow.
>
> 12th House Avanapdur
>
> Now condemned as horribly misguided. This dynasty accepted the aid of
> Avanapdur to defeat the Tsunami folk. When Avanapdur was revealed as
> an illusion, the power of this house crumbled overnight. Also marks the
> end of the Demigod's Cycle and Vayobi's reign. Condemned for not being
> Isolationists.

If I understand precisely the line of your words, It seems you think Austerity War (Early Human Cycle: Grey Age?) is not concern of vormaino. Kumanti Lun is one of attackers to Sortum.

> 13th House Isolation
>
> Starts at the same time as Human Cycle, Vashanti's reign and Bulthshasam
> of Teshnos. Associated with Telask. Resurrects the Isolation to keep
> foreigners
> away from Vormain. Retires at the Dawn (which is also when Soravatoor of
> Teshnos took over).

Soravatoor is called the Founder of Teshnan culture in Genertela Box in Dawn Age. (Though I think the tale about him and Kang Luway is too mythic....I want make him contemporary of other founders.... similar to Kralori Aptanence and Vormai Kuyaku, but perfectly written from my sense of value..)

Anyway, I will revise my tables according to Peter's last post ignoring my preference, but it takes some more time and I want to Alex's opinion about them for he wrote many about older setting with Peter..

Sincerely:
TI

P.S Malion made a very beautiful page for Vithelan Mythologies and histories with many beautiful images, though written with comments of Japanese.... http://www.glorantha.to/~tome/lib/eastisles.htm