Shadowlands, Jrusteli, Caladraland

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:32:55 +0200

Simon :

> How much influence did the Jrusteli have in Caladraland?

Quite a lot AFAIK

> I know they had a
> presence in Karse and a few of the coastal cities of what is not the Holy
> Country, but when they first arrived, this was all part of the Shadowlands.
> Did they make any inroads into the Shadowlands?

The Shadowlands were a part of the EWF, but the OOO was personally an ally of the Jrusteli. It's certainly the OOO who sent the first colonies of trolls to Jrustela (and he also sent some to Pamaltela), many of them travelling on Jrusteli ships, although the OOO had a fleet of his own.

As far as actual Jrusteli influence in Caladraland goes, well everything (and not just the C&A cock-up) points to such influence existing.

> It all depends on how much the Volcano Twins mythology was changed/invented.
> If the Twins were simply children of Lodril before the GLs started messing
> about,

Well yes, but this would be in very old and forgotten Storm Age myths.

And this would be the primal volcano god Lodril, prior to GL-type devolution.

The OOO would have been a useful connection for the GLs in this respect, because he can actually *remember* what the Storm Age was like ...

As far as any actually *real* connection between C&A goes, I'm pretty dubious. Probably about as much connection as between, say, Mahome and Enverinus.

> then perhaps there were myths in both Caladraland and Aurelion about
> the gods' relatives. It is always easier to start with a core of myth and add
> on to it rather than create everything from scratch.

Not from scratch : Lodril's primal myth was a Universal Gloranthan event of high cosmogonic significance, and all volcanoes (barring the inevitable exception or three) partake of that myth.

> Perhaps the Jrusteli had some Aurelion myths regarding a volcanic sibling,
> then when they arrived in Caladraland they encountered the volcano gods there
> and recognised the relationship between Caladra and Aurelion.

More likely they imposed their own RuneQuest Sight on two divinities that at the outset had little else to do with each other than GL a priori thinking about "Earth", "Sky", "Fire", and "Volcanoes", as mighty generalisations...

Julian Lord