Lunar and Solar Hells.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:23:22 +1200

Newt:

>I'm looking for some pointers for descriptions of the Lunar and
>Solar Hells, any URLs or peolple's thoughts would be much
>appreciated.

Solar Hells and Underworlds are described in the GRAY. There's basically four of them.

Dubgrulub ("Underground") - any old cave.

Veskerelgat ("Veskerele's House") - where the lesser deities of the earth dwell. Only reachable by heroes, holy men, madmen and fools. Veskerele is the Faceless God who is worshipped by Dara Happan Thieves. This place is also known as the Belling Hell because of the presence of Natha (a lunar goddess that holds a bell).

Voshgatyuth: ("House of Dead Gods") where Lodril and Oria rule. The aspects of Lodril and Oria aren't the kindly versions that you meet on the surface but rather scary underworld versions. Lodril is a skeletal figure that wields the Bone of Power while Oria is also known as Anara Gor or Ugly Old Woman and has serpents for hair. But this place isn't totally dismal because it is a place for purification, remembrance, bliss and rebirth. This is also the place where Yelm visits when he's in the Underworld.

Erskintu ("Evil Spirit Prison") where awful things such as Hunger, Madness, Fear and Disease are locked up behind Adamant Doors. The Lord of the Fourth Hell is Deshkorgos otherwise known as Monster Man. It is a place of sabre-toothed tigers, dogs, serpents scorpions, bats, furies, sorrow and horror.

There is also the fifth hell "the most severe and cruel punishment" of the Blue King. No other description is given. I assume that it's a sorcerous part of the underworld considering the Blue King's association with the Logicians. Given the energy/matter duality, I'll emphasize the awful sensations that are felt in this place.

Now for the Lunar Hells, there's basically few sources. IMO Lunar Hells are bits of Solar Hells that have been touched by lunar energies.

The first is Argrath's Saga which describes a Hell in which "torture is like breath, and pain like clothing, and suffering like food". Somewhere in this hell is a forge in which Sheng Seleris is being pulped. Elsewhere he stated to be tormented by Yara Aranis's mother (Gorgorma), which indicates the place is Erskintu. There's also a Q&A which talks about a mystic hell but I think this is a mistake.

The Belling Hell is already mentioned.

Danfive's Hell is the place where Danfive fled after the birth of the Red Goddess. It lies beyond the River Styx and all sorts of brutal punishments are carried out there. I think it's also in Erskintu.

Another hell is Jakaleel's Hell which is also called the Twenty-three Delayed Realm for some reason that I haven't fathomed. It basically is full of deranged spirits that want your body.

If I were to emphasize the difference between Solar and Lunar portions of Hell, then I would stress that the horrors of the Lunar Hells are transforming and illuminating while the Solar Hells are predicated on the basis that Like merits Like (i.e. murderers go to where other murderers are found and remain there).

--Peter Metcalfe