2nd Age Slontos

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:45:01 -0800

>Mick Rowe:
>
>>Is anything known about what the area and people
>along the Noshian
>>River were like before the drowning of Slontos and
>the forming of the
>>New Fens?

First, see the official site for some known information. Most of the hard hard data I hae complied is about the First Age. Here is a general synopsis, though:

Slontos was a pretty wild area in the First Age. Few people, lots of nonhumans, lots of dense woods. At the end of the First Age the Golden Empire conquered the rgion, led by the Iron Vrok himself. It was liberated by Arkat and his army of the West, which then marched to Dragon Pass when the uz and Heortlings rose in rebellion. In the Imperial Age the Middle Sea Empire colonized the coasts of Slontos and took over most of the interior. The northern areas were never fully conquered, but formed several tribal groups whose fortunes varied widely. They served for and against the EWF and the Middle Sea Empire's Archduke of Slontos as fortune offered them opportunities. Their lands were often battlegrounds for the major contnders and occasionally sufferred horribly. The names of the leaders and "kingdoms" varied widely and wildly during that time. Coastal regions were generally ruledd by the Archduke. Again, both EWF and God Learner influences came and went and often contributed the nuclear formations of the tribes and counties that were temporarily formed. Throughout most of that the early Hsunchen peoples and Heortling religions continued their geographic style clans and temple organizaions. After Slontos sank many refugees came into the aea, tending to the coasts. When the oceans were closed they dissipated. Jeff Kyer is working on a project inthe Third Age about this area, and may be able to contribute some details that he is going to incorporate into his project.

YGWV,
Greg Stafford