Human races

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:15:30 +0900

Mikko:
> One of the blanks is race.

I think a game designer in USA might have to show more cautious attitude toward such topic than those of Japan. I guess.

> Ok, it's not quite blank. We have a rather Aryan bunch in the Heortlings
> and the other "barbarian belt" orlanthi. Blondes and redheads abound, eyes
> of blue, green and gray. Easy image to grasp. Vikings, kelts and germanic
> tribes.

I think Greg showed more sensible / sensitive attitude than you about the topic that is related to such a real world affairs.

> But why limit ourselves. We have a monotheistic, highly civilized race of
> people to draw from in our history. I'm talking, of course, of the great
> arabic civilizations and the muslim religion. (I also draw heavily on the
> work of Ursula K. LeQuinn in the Earthsea books for a wizard centered
> setting with a lower than medieval technology setting.)

I don't like recent her new series of Earthsea for "vulgar feminism" attached to classic great trilogy. Grumble.....

> But what do you think? All this is just scratching the surface. I'm hoping
> to stir conversation.
>
> Is anybody else trying to run a game in the west casting the culture (and
> people) in an arabian mould? What about the rest?

I have some example for pentians as RW Eurasian nomads in history, see below.
http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/PentanTribeVariant.htm I hope No Mongolian stock in current Glorantha Community....

TI