Several Debates for East

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 01:56:30 +0900

*Melib and Closing
(See Four Scrolls of Revelation: Melib)

Disclaimer1: Why Harstar could not cross the sea? For he wasn't good at swim as Belintar in Sindpaper...

Disclaimer2: I couldn't agree, read about some cases for inland sea, like Ozur, Choralinthor, Maslo and Suam Chow. And doldrums in East Isles. They could manage to drive small boats even in Closing Effect. I think Harstar couldn't cross the Rozgali for many of his subordinates couldn't swim.. for coming battle against Melib natives.

Disclaimer1: I think Martin Hawley did same mistake as Greg did in Revealed Mythologies for Sheng Seleris, he crossed the sea to attack Vormain, like Mongol under Kubirai.....

Disclaimer2: I don't think so. Then, what is "inland sea"?

*Glorantha Empedocles

(Insert Kralorelan Complex about Runes from Excerpt of HeroQuest.)
<<Different places in the world have different runic systems, depending on the power matrix that was established before the Dawn and later modified according to their histories. The most powerful of these other systems are known in the West, where the wizards and sorcerers codify the law of universe as runes: and in Kralorela, where the mystics categorized the distractions.>>

Disclaimer1: Five Elements and Five Folded System is from Kralorela! (Terra)

Disclaimer2: What makes you think so? It was Godlearner's own and they are from West, Jrustela and Seshnela! (Rest of Gloranthaphile, like Alex, Sandy, Efendi, Nick etc....)

Disclaimer1: But Alchemy is from Kralorela, Emperor Thalurzni is the founder...

Disclaimer2: Nope, Prince Bertalor of Serpent Dynasty was the one! (See Elder Secrets
of Glorantha.)

Disclaimer1: Certainly refering to RW, elements are from Babylonia, and it went to Greek and Empedocles systemized it. But the complex of Five was from China, the four elements of Greece (and consequent European Notions of Alchemy) are not such system.

http://www.welcome-to-china.com/ltr/heal/6ap.htm
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa041900a.htm
http://weber.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/chin/hbwuushyng.html

Disclaimer2: But it is Glorantha, not Real World. And even if you want to insist that almost all of pre-industry age technology is from China and Arabia, such parallel can be applied to Peloria and West, such like stirrups.

(See Lokarnos, old post of Nick Brooke and Sandy Petersen)
http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd2/1996.05/3603.html http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/ndaily/1993.05/0735.html
(See also Efendi's Image for Five Elements)
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ty2m-iwsk/rq/script/cults/gloranthan/misc/triginta_runae_nucleorum.html

*Nymphes and (False-?) Mysticism

<<Precondition 1: Illumination is a sort of mindset similar to HW 1st Edition (false-) mysticism, or vice versa. Through it, practitioners gain the power to ignore some kind of mundane / spiritual / magical affairs in middle world.

Precondition 2: In Glorantha, sometimes sentient beings is born from fixed-INT (RQ term) beings like the Priest Redeye of Zola Fel.

Precondition 3: Some of non-humans can be illuminated, or illuminated beings can be turned into non-humans. (Peter Metcalph might call it too simplified....)

Precondition 4: Some of (False-?) Mysticism, or Asceticism Mentors are human. (No, Mashunasan was a duck! (A Duck Keet's opinion)) >>

(Insert Anaxial Roster "Nymph (p. 218)" and my idea for "Beast Within" Cult
from my note of Lur Nop)

<<*Path of Beast Within (See TI's unofficial story about Emperor Vayobi) This cult is not so popular among draconic Kralori and sentient beings in Kralorela.....for they and (especially mandarins) thinks dragon is ideal form of sentient being. In East Isles, this cult thrived under the benevolent days of human civilization in the Isle of Memb, for in some of their dynasty, man dominated the land and forced worship of human form high gods and mystical entities to even non-humans.

And some of sentient non-human animals (fishes, animals and dryads (dryads can get the awareness that it isn't bound to its original place....and leave freely there and commune with human society.)) began to think that human form is ideal form to reach Liberation of some kind of mystical status which human sages taught in Prehistoric days. This cult in Kralorela was learned and abused by Sekever cults to infiltrate kralori society, especially, elurae mystics were good at the way of this cult and combined its magic, Transform Human with their inherent magic.

In Hsunchen Land of ShanShan Mountains, this cult is the epitome of blasphemy of Korgatsu tradition and Horned Brotherhood always hunt the practioners of this cult. Keets of East Isles also disgust its practioners, and rather want to convert such wretched folks to their Flyer Dream Magic and Ezelite Magic Transform into Keets. >>

Disclaimer2: Then what your idea depends on?

Disclaimer1: For example, read Journey to the West, Monkey King is not a mere monkey, he was born from a rock that bathed long with chi of Sky and Earth, (some of the chinese scholars called it petra genitrix....)

Disclaimer2: But in Glorantha, "the appearance of a nymph reflects a deep mythic desire within their nature, and so most nymphs appear sexually attractive to sentient beings." Then, such entities like wizard are not nymphes. I think you stretched Greg's worldview and bent it at your whimsical desire.

*Technology Level of Kralorela
Disclaimer1: Then, what is the current parallel of Kralorela to Real World dynasties?

Disclaimer2: There isn's such parallel, because Glorantha is fantasy world and I don't think much specific time to RW parallel, (aside from we don't know enough about Real World China....)

Disclaimer1: But you should not think in all about Chinese History the same is true as some of GD posters did to Ancient Egypt! It will remove japanese chinoisilists from Glorantha! And it is unfair if you want to make Kralorela much like set of culture for heortling and lunars......

Disclaimer2: Then, what kind of concrete examples do you want to know about?

Disclaimer1: What I want to know is, current 17th Century Kralori of Glorantha uses:

Bill? (In RW, from Sung Dynasty, as drafts.) Costume (Even, Robert Van Gulik used costume of Ming Dynasty for Judge Dee!
(He used it for the schemes in Tang....))
like Pants? (It was from north nomads in Warring State period), Pigtails?
(Chinese dislike it as barbarous style until Manchurians forced it to
them...)
Opium? (Blame on europeans....in 19C)
Clock? (Manchurian Dynasty Age), Chair? (It is from nomads)

Disclaimer2: Is it truly important?

Any comments will be welcomed.

TI