Re: King David, Talmud, and Superheroes

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:45:30 +0200

Michi Kossowsky :

> >NB. The original context of the question was the alleged tradition of
> >King David having red hair. I'm not sure that this in fact is a Jewish
> >tradition at all. Michi?
>
> Well, in Samuel I 17:42, when describing King David the Hebrew Word
> "Admoni" is used. "Adom" is red in Hebrew and could mean he was ruddy
> in complexion or red haired.

There's an ancient motif in ancient literature about heroes being ruddy in complexion, and IIRC Thomas Mann uses it in "Joseph and his Brothers" when discussing Jacob's brother Esau. The motif in any case appears to designate or connotate raw, primal, male energies (of some sort or other).

No other comment, except that the posts are quite informative. thanx.

Julian Lord