'elf' attitudes about fire

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:38:35 -0700

David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com> wrote:
> A followup to my
>
>> I'm fairly sure that some trees propagate ONLY due to fire, so it
>> would probably be hard for humans to figure out which elves would
>> accept it.
>
> "Many plants that have adapted to habitats prone to fire have
> developed seeds that rely on fire as a precondition to germinating."

Though in Glorantha, the elves/dryads of those trees could arrange for reproduction without having a full-on forest fire--they could ritually scorch the trees and build smokey fires, maybe even bind a fire spirit into the seed or something like that.

But the elves who come from 'must-be-burned' trees probably *really* freak out the other elves. If they use fire in their rituals, they're probably a lot more comfortable with fire (as a tool and a weapon) than the other aldryami are. I'm sure there's a myth explaining them, and a heroquest or three...