Sorcerers and other Mixes

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:37:21 -0700

Friends,
>From: "TERRA INCOGNITA"

>> I was trying to make a new cult write-up on
>Kralorela and I came up with a
>> serious problem. My "cult" was a wizardly order.
>I know that the Kralori
>> have wizards as well as theists and animists. I
>made an assumption that
>> their are mainly theistic, however. That got me
>thinking. . .
>>

>There's no official answer, I suppose. But Peter
>and I agree you in a broad
>meaning, If I understand correctly Peter's several
>statements.

MY official answer is that MIXED RELIGIONS ARE NORMAL EVERYWHERE. It says this in HQ.
To be more clear: Everyone everywhere has mixed religious rites, because THE WORLD IS MADE OF EVERYTING. These mixtures vary in their elements, so that the Heortlings have mostly theistic rites, but the Kolatings are present, forinstance. People will generally exploit whatever resources help them to thrive, and this means that they will worship that berry bush spirit, that grain goddess and that sorcerous mineal.

>> What would the otherside be like for wizards in a
>theistic culture?

It is exactly like the Otherside for ANY sorcerers. ALL sorcery comes from the same place.

>> Lunars cheat their way out of this. The moon is a
>part of all the
>> otherworlds and/or something that is foreign to
>all of them.

OR, perhaps, the Moon is Part of Everything... And maybe, THIS MOON is part of everyting.

>>The kralori
>> don't have this luxury, neither do the Teshnans.
>
>I don't think Teshnans has need to mix / combine
>their practice,

I would suggest that they DO MIX them, like everyone else.

>for they
>have experienced until recently its lethargy and
>only Somash priests have
>proper power to be called political forces until
>Harstar begin to rebel
>against Garusharp and Pubnashap. Perhaps it is
>similar to Heortling.

Kralorela is a grand, grand mixture of cults, churches, rites of all types. They exist side by side without hostility.

>But how Three Systemized Great Cultural Forces
>exist in Genertela, Loskalm,
>Lunar Empire and Kralorela?

BECAUSE The World is Made of Everything, and people need all the help that they can get! REMEMBER that the magic systems are absolutely incompatible with each other, but that the people can use them all, AND DO.

>I suppose they all have
>common nature to
>organize local magic into Unified Force, as
>overlords of Loskalm seems to be
>demigods by ignorant foreigners and barbarians. And
>I think Wizardly Culture
>itself be quite able to match such requirement.

Look at the Kingdom of Loskalm. They CLAIM to be Monotheist, and the clerical hierarchy struggles to be so, but I think it is pretty plain that they have not succeeded. Those Common Cults, etc., are the practicalities of everyda life. Note that an upcoming conflict in Sshenla will be a huge iconoclast effort to annihilate these petty, "illegal" cults.

>Lunars, as you mentioned above, I agree in their
>shared otherside as a spot
>and focus of magic, Red Moon. And they somehow mix
>and combine all different
>source of magic into one by this unique
>perspective. (Heortling might call
>it Chaos.)

Or, as I said, above, "maybe" The Moon is Made of Everything...

>Then the topic of your concern, Kralorela. How
>should we think about them?
>It is perfectly my opinion, but I think Mysticism

I woudl suggest that you drop this angle. Mysicism PER SE has nothing to do with it. Need I say it again? THE WORLD IS MADE OF EVERYTING.

>(I don't know proper term
>for the tradition of east even though Greg denied
>to use this term without
>enough caution.) itself deny the idea benefit and
>right form of Systemized
>Magic, aside from anti-societal Orthodox mystics.
>Vithela scattered into
>isles for people didn't share their ideal to common
>purpose, and purpose of
>Mysticism is Liberation, maybe it is similar to
>Illumination of Lunars in a
>sense that the practitioner seek to free from
>shackle of societal duties and
>burden of tradition.

TWIMOE.
>> Still, they have wizards
>> and therefore I suppose that they must have
>essence planes as well. How
>> could the node of the schools founder be near the
>Imperial City or
>whatever
>> and still be in a different otherworld?

Because certain parts of the world are stronger, less mixed up than others, and therefore have more Essence than other elements.

>I think draconism is composed from paradox,
>mysticism denies the Middle
>World as Garden of Temptation, but dragons created
>the World and made their
>home.

Nope.

>Many (all?) of geographical features might be
>True Dragons,

Yep.

>and though
>Westerners think that nature was created by the
>will of Invisible God to be
>conquered , and serve human purpose, Kralori might
>think that nature and
>civilization are opposite sides of a coin and
>harmonizable, as Yin and Yang.

Yea, sort of.

>They succeeded to make one of most organized
>culture over draconic
>incomprehensive nature with their unlimited (?)
>trust to rulers and their
>merciful emperors.

Nah. The dragons did it. And went away, or were driven away.

>Maybe, Kralori serve their current emperor with
>Wizardly manner, and maybe
>pick and choice past emperors with Theistic Manner,
>with many spirits and
>daimons of vithela and genertela. All IMO.

Yes, they use all he methods to revere their Emperor, who is "way out there," unreachable really, to most people.

>Maybe Mark knows the final answer.

Maybe. :)
Read the article!