Mysticism again!?

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:25:23 -0700

>From: "Antonio Alvarez del Cuvillo"

YGWV.
>IMO, there is a sort of different magic for some
>Kung-Fu warriors, Shaolin,
>jedi, and the like.

In Glorantha the "true" magic of this sort comes from Darja Danag. However, as I beleive I have said before (and in contrast to the ravings in HW), it is essentially impossible for modern organizations (dojo, whatever)to properly duplicate this. As a result, the martial art practices of almost everyplace in Glorantha are some kind of theistic, sorcerous or animist magic toobtain their martial arts. Many of the CLAIM to be mystical, but they are not using mystical forces. WHY? Because mystical forces can not enter into the WORLD OF EVERYTHING without being tarnished, diminished or re-interpreted. WHY? Because the world is made of magic, and everything in it is magical, and mysticism is not magical in any way. Take a look at the "standard" texts of most Terrestial mystical beliefs/practices, and replace the greatly misleading word "illusion" with the word "magic" and you will start to get the idea. So, while YGWV (and I encourage that) I do want to stress that the "real" mystical powers are exceptions to the rules and will be gien in a future supplement, and that whatever disucssion you wish to pursue is most likely to end up as a unofficial variant, not the published rules.

Having said that, I will confess that Antonio has some pretty good ideas in his essay.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford