Re: Sandy Petersen is the Most Insane Gamemaster I've Ever Gamed With

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

> In the RQ campaign Sandy is currently running,
> many of us are ancestor worshippers from Trond,
> one of Ygg's isles. Several years ago, Trond
> was utterly detroyed by fire from the sky. Thus,
> a large number of our kinsmen were transfeormed
> into waraiths, ghouls, and zombies. A few foul
> things were done to placate their wrath.

Just to make it perfectly clear: we're on the side of the horrible, evil undead. Also, in this Glorantha, Black Hralf the Weasel was a Tronding bent on creating "Greater Trond." We went back in time, met him, killed him, and buried his head where -- in a remarkable coincidence -- the Kingdom of War popped up some years later. Whenever the shaman summons him, Black Hralf takes a finger. Nice folks to visit, all in all.

> Recently, a ship of the damned showed up in
> Sog City, where we happened to be, which
> happened to be crewed by Trondling undead.

Including the shaman's mom, whom he had just "summoned" to get advice as to whether to go aboard. Just when he finished the summons, the ship dropped a longboat. We dropped our jaws.

> Seems we were needed to fight an invasion
> of Loskalmi who were intent upon erecting
> strange sorcerous pillars which rendered
> our undead kinsmen inert. We don't know why
> Trond was chosen; perhaps the high concentration
> of undead played some part, but whatever the
> reason, the Loskalmi are eraecting tall pillars
> whereupon they've sacrificed Loskalmi maidens;

We're not sure where they're from. We doubt that that are really Loskalmi maidens, since they always have perfect 21 (RQ) stats. But maybe these are the old, unreformed Loskalmi Church folks.

> the resulting effect suppresses any spirits in the
> area, with unknown benefit to the Loskalmi.
>
> We've been able to disable one pillar, and have
> fought a Loskalmi work crew of 20+ warriors, 3
> sorcerors, and a mammoth successfully, with the
> aid of the uundead throngs of Trond as allies.

I died, but got DI; now down to a mighty POW of 3. That was a tough fight.

> This is one of the most exhiliratibng campaigns I
> have ever been involved with. Let me just
> also mention that the newest of our partyn members
> is a Humakti.

. . . who fought on the side of the undead, including the giant flaming skull of doom.

Oh, and (with the help of the bottom half of a zombie with very nice legs) we also found the Egg of George Stephanopolis, or whatever it is called. It was damaged and had seemingly reproduced, among other impossibilities. We have utterly no idea why it is there.

Chris Lemens

End of Glorantha Digest