Re: The Abiding Script

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:14:26 +0100

Peter Larsen:

> > There's been a lot of confusion between language and script
>
>>>in this ever-so-old ever-so-arcane thread. I personally agree
>>>completely that the Brithini linguistic family can confidently
>>>be based on latin and the romance languages, rather than on
>>>the semitic tongues or Chinese agglutination
>>

> Isn't there a source that claimed that all Westerners can read the
>script, even though they pronounce it differently? It's kind of hard to
>imagine this with characters representing sounds or syllables, but, I
>suppose that you might have a set of characters (Brithini?) that have been
>added to and deleted from as the various mainland languages diverged from
>the original. If you assume that written Brithini was vowel-less, that
>makes it easier, as different vowels could be inserted at different places
>(as Larry Gonick pointed out, you can say "Jehovah," but you can also say
>"Yahoo-Wahoo").

IMO, the Abiding Script (as written Western is formally known) is indeed an abjad, like Arabic or Hebrew. However, there has been much argument on this topic (which recently resurfaced at Lokarnos.com). My present opinion is that written Western is not strictly the same as the spoken language, but is either Brithini or a close derivative thereof. Much as early medieval writers only wrote in Latin, regardless of what they spoke, or the way that written Arabic is that of the Koran, and not necessarily the same as the various spoken forms of the language used in various different Arabic nations.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic