Search for Har(r)ek

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 05:13:12 -0700 (PDT)

The following seems very Harrek-ish:

"(...) There was a mountain back of the king’s residence so high that no human paths traversed it. One day a man–if he might be so called–came down from the mountain. He was larger and more fierce-looking than any person that had before been seen, and he

looked more like a giant than like a human being. In
his hand he held a bayonet-like two-pointed pike. This
happened while the king was sitting at the table. This
“raum” (ugly-looking fellow) came to the door of the hall and requested to be permitted to enter, but the porters refused to admit him. Then he smote the porters with his pike and pierced both of them from breast to back, one being pierced by one point of the pike and the other by the other; whereupon he lifted both of them over his head and threw their corpses down upon the ground behind him. Then, entering the door, he approached the king’s throne, and thus addressed him: As I, king Ring, have honored you so much as to visit you, I think it your duty to grant my request. The king asked what the request might be, and what his name was. He answered: My name is Harek, the Ironhead, and I am a son of king Kol Kroppinbak (the humpback) of India; but my errand is that I wish you to place your daughter, your country, and your subjects in my hands. And, I think, most people will say that it is better for the kingdom that I rule it instead of you, who are destitute of strength and manhood, and moreover, enfeebled by age. But, as it may seem humiliating to you to surrender your kingdom, I will agree, on my part, to marry your daughter, Hunvor. But, if this is not satisfactory to you, I will kill you, take possession of your kingdom, and make Hunvor my concubine. "

it's taken from The Saga of Thorstein Viking's Son at: http://www.northvegr.org/lore/viking/002.php

Thanks, David!

The search goes on...

Ciao,