Re: Ye anciente Westernne script thredde

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:10:58 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
> I'm thinking about a Green Age ur-language,
> before the original destruction of the
> original mixed world.

Surely the act of naming (i.e., the application of language to things) was one of the events marking the end of the Green Age and the beginning of the Golden Age. The order that language asserts seems very Golden Age to me.

I think there are cultural differences as to who the namer was, which would indicate to me that the languages are not related. Yelm for example, would probably be the naming god of the Solar religion; there would be a strong sense of putting each thing in its place. Genert was the naming god for the Praxians; I suspect his naming was very poetic touchy-feely stuff. I suspect that Umath refused the name that Yelm gave him, but used many of them for other things.

Chris Lemens