Re: Written Western

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:31:16 +0100

Peter Larsen:

> Sure, but a written sentence in English=20
>and Spanish are not mutually understandable=20
>(although the attentive can translate very simple=20
>sentences either way). My confusion over the=20
>script in the West arises from the understanding=20
>that everyone can read the _Abiding Book_, but=20
>they pronounce what they read differently. (I am=20
>sure I read this somewhere, but I cannot produce=20
>the passage, so maybe I dreamt it.)

Its in the RQ3 Glorantha book. However, all it says is that the West has one written script that everyone can understand regardless of the Western language they happen to speak. The clear implication of this (IMO) is a logographic script, but one can certainly interpret at as the rather more interesting option of the written and spoken languages not actually being the same.

>Surely the suggestion is
>not that, when a Loskalmi liturgist and a
>Seshnegi liturgist read the _Abiding Book_ to
>their congregations, what comes out of their
>mouths is so different as to constitute two
>separate languages (assuming of course, they are
>reading the Book verbatum and not translating the
>stories into their vernaculars for the benefit of
>the ignorant masses)?
> Is this the case?

I am not aware of anyone have argued for the veracity of such a suggestion, no.

Donald Oddy:

>>Nonetheless [despite the existence of dialects], you still understood what I just wrote.
>>

>That's because you're not writing in dialect. I have seen some
>dialect writing, Lancashire and Yorkshire mostly, and it is quite
>difficult to read. More difficult than the spoken is to listen to
>because the writers have had to modify normal spelling to reflect
>the way the words are spoken. That's on top of unusual words and
>phrases.

Wey aye man, if yee divn't gan canny, yee might not knaa wut ah mean by 'wor netty' or summick, ye knaa what ah mean, leik?

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic