Re: Western scripts

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:46:44 +0100

In message Western scripts, Donald R. Oddy writes

>>Nonetheless, you still understood what I just wrote.
>
>That's because you're not writing in dialect. I have seen some
>dialect writing, Lancashire and Yorkshire mostly, and it is quite
>difficult to read. More difficult than the spoken is to listen to
>because the writers have had to modify normal spelling to reflect
>the way the words are spoken. That's on top of unusual words and
>phrases.

 On that note, here are an example of a text that might prove familiar...

(from a usenet posting by Peter Creed)

The Obbit, Wot woz writ by that bloke Tolkin'

In an ole in theyur growund woz an 'Obbit, wot lived there. It worn't a nasty dirty wet ole, filled with werms an an 'orrible smell. It weren't even a dry, sandy ole with nowt innit to put yer bum on an ave a birrofa snack. It woz'n Obbit Ole un it woz a bit special loike.

The dewer woz grain un rahnd, a bit loike won o them ships winders. An roight in the middle of it woz a grate big brass nob. Wen yow opened the dewer yow could see a big tunnil loike the subway underpass at Masshouse Circus, cept there wor no cars innit loike. This tunnel day ave no smoke innit an all them walls ad woodin ponels on em, an the flewers, well them flewers woz so shiny yow curra slipp't arse over tit on em!

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |