Re: Biblia

From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:44:11 +0100

Julian:

>The Vulgate isn't written in classical latin. It's written in a highly
elegant
>and literary form of vulgate latin, which was the language of the people,
>and vulgarly local.

I'm sure the british and german peasantry would have been interested to learn that. Of course the fact that they didn't speak a derivative of Latin meant their barrier to appreciating it was higher and therefore they felt excluded, thus creating an opportunity for protestantism and it's freedom of alternative interpretation to flourish.

>In fact, the doctrine of Biblical purity is an invention of the late Middle
Ages

No argument.

Simon Hibbs