Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #586 - 5 msgs

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:54:26 -0400

Peter wrote -

>Kevin McD wrote -
>>In the Carmanian religion, as I interpret it, when a person dies his
>>soul is collected by Idojartos the Psychopomp and escorted to the Sword
>>Bridge where the deceased is judged on the merits of his/her moral
>>decisions in life. The pure ones rise to commune with Idovanus in the
>>Carmanian heaven, and the impure ones fall into the Carmanian hell(s) to
>>be tormented by Ganesatarus.
>

>No. Sorcerous Carmanians go to the Black Isle of Introspection where
>they dissolve into the Carmanian version of Solace. Theistic
>Carmanians do not go to Sword Bridge (that's an Orlanthi version)
>but have their own version. I assume they follow the Bat to the
>Black Mountain from whence Idojartos leads them to their own God's
>home.

This is very interesting. Where did you get the info on Carmanian Wizards going to the Black Isle or Carmanian Theists going to the Black Mountain?

As for the Sword Bridge, I got that from Loren and Nick's Carmanian Orthodoxy writeup
(http://www.btinternet.com/~nick_brooke/sects/carmanian.htm). The particulars I derived from Zoroastrianism - I did not know about an Orlanthi Sword Bridge. The association of the Carmanian Humakt with Judgment and the Sword Bridge was my own, but makes sense to me because of Humakt's role as the Separator. I like the idea that after death all Carmanians face the same cold, merciless, uncompromising, and frightening judge who makes them account for their decisions in life. YGWV.

~Kevin McD