Re: Abiding Script

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:45:08 +0100

Julian:

>>...the West has
>>one written script that everyone can understand regardless of the
>>Western language they happen to speak. The clear implication of this
>>(IMO) is a logographic script, but one can certainly interpret at as the
>>rather more interesting option of the written and spoken languages not
>>actually being the same.
>>

>>From Greg's intervention, it actually looks like it's a combination of "ordinary"
>script and Runes (aka logograms).
>
>I'd hazard that it's an alphabetic script including the occasional logogram.

Well, clearly it includes Gloranthan runes, especially since it will have logical formulae in it. That doesn't mean that one can't usefully describe the script as being alphabetic, any more than one would argue that a maths textbook (or the HeroQuest rules) aren't in alphabetic English just because they include logographic symbols. I don't think that's been disputed by anyone...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

End of Glorantha Digest