Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #590 - 2 msgs

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:12:02 -0500

> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:06:55 +0200
> From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
> To: glorantha_at_rpglist.org
> Subject: Church & Latin
>
> Andrew :
>

>>     If you were referring exclusively to the Western European Christian
>> population in the 4th and 5th century, the statement is correct (with the
>> exception of Germanic Christians for whom Latin would have been a foreign
>> langauge (such as the Visigoths

> Visigoths > Vascons > Basques, BTW ...

    Perhaps, but not definitely. The Basque word for themselves is 'euskadi", of which 'basque' could be a corruption. It's clear that the Basques aren't the Visigoths. Although no one's ever been able to definitely explain their origins, it's agreed that they aren't Indo-Europeans. My favorite theory is that they're Atlanteans.

>>     This sort of exegesis is very uncommon today, and most modern
>> theologians find it rather wrong-headed and overly-complex.

> It lives on in high-level lit-crit.
>
> I'm reminded of the GLs, and modern reaction to them ... ;-)

    Interesting parallel there. The multi-layered exegesis might provide a useful model for both the God Learners and the Western Approach to heroquesting. But again, since I don't really know much about the West, I'll leave that to others, such as yourself, to play with.

    Well, enough about the Vulgate, Biblical exegesis and so on. Back to stuff that really matters...

Andrew E. Larsen