Re: Replies to England? and Italy?

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:01:37 -0700 (PDT)

Still, in ancient RW, in some sense, slaves and human manpower were a disposable, tradeable and basic source of energy, much like modern oil, for almost any empire. Ancient Egypt and ancient Rome spring to mind as empires based on (often external) slave labour. In Glorantha slaves, thralls, serfs are also present but magic is an alternative: frex you can build a ziggurat (in theory) using 10.000 slaves or 100 elementals/essences/subservient spirits or a single powerful djinni.
Since magic (weak spots where the passage with the otherside is easier or locally based magical entities like a TrueDragon or Gonn Orta or an oread) is often bound to a place, the materialistic and mundane and anachronistic comparison to oil wells CAN be made. If I were the player of an Etyries trader I would consider such an aspect.

Ciao,
Gian

me again:
> > I fail to understand the meaning of the above
> > sentences.
> >
> In some Areas (well-)developed with mercantile
> economy in certain level,
> farmers begin to grow [more profitable, cash crops]
> and (to) import food.
> Manufactured products (derived from cash crops
> through various processes)
> have more high price and uniqueness rather than
> (that derived from direct
> harvest of field ), and (which) makes (the area
> (produces such processed
> material)) (a) center of surrounding area.
>
> It simply means selling manufactured material is
> more profitable than do
> same for raw material, excuse me for bad english.

End of Glorantha Digest