Re: Ur languages and sign language

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:43:09 GMT

>From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>

>The theory is that new languages cannot be unrelated to
>the human linguistic faculty.

[snip]

>Ob-Glorantha, it's simply a fact that humans share certain
>common features that are used to produce meaning, and that
>these features could be linguistically described as an ur-language.

Given that several languages in Glorantha were developed for non-humans it follows that there isn't a single ur-language. Draconic is the most extreme but also Aldryami, Troll and probably Mostali. Yet those languages have mixed with various human tongues to the extent of loan words at least. Now whether all the human languages share a single root I don't know, there are mythical arguments both for and against.

>But ... Gloranthan languages may contain several magical
>components that wouldn't belong in such a rational model.

Indeed.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/