Languages and babylon

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:51:45 -0800 (PST)

Chris:
> Julian:
> > Ob-Glorantha, it's simply a fact that humans
> > share certain common features that are used
> > to produce meaning, and that these features
> > could be linguistically described as an
> > ur-language.
>
> So, is it your thought that, during the green age,
> people could use these faculties to understand each
> other directly without the formal structure of a
> language? That is, any old grunt would carry the
> intended meaning? Then, at the end of the green
> age,
> different peoples becaome less and less mutually
> comprehensible?

What is implied, I think, closely resembles the tower of Babylon myth: once everybody could understand everybody with a single "language" (or there was such a communion of thought and intent, a common identity, that communication was not necessary). Now there are a million idioms and a billion idiots (ehm, sorry for the pun).

On the hand of Sign Language, I would swear that Lanbrili have a form of sign language (I don't remember if I read it). Fafhrd and Gray Mouser certainly had one.

Much more interesting, to me at least, is the vision of a whole civilization based on Sign Language. A sort of Deaf People. I believe they belong to Glorantha somewhere.
If they are a civilization they need to record things. How do they record knowledge?
We use sound (traditionally, apart from computer-geeks like ourselves) to communicate and tact (writing) and vision (reading) to record, via a phonetic alphabete. But a Deaf People would use maybe other methods. Ideograms or pictograms is a short answer. A longer one would involve stereograms (little sculptures) or rinograms (based on collection of smells) or a new sense like earthsense...

Ok stop to the wild speculation for now.

Ciao,
Gian