Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #603 - 5 msgs

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:29:37 +0000 (GMT)

> Starting Origami indeed. At least in Finland
> Glorantha is appreaciated and respected as a
> deep and rich setting, not a silly one.

Reviews are always opinion so I have no desire to argue it on a point-by-point basis, but we should remember that humor, the wierd, and the wonderful has always been a vital part of Gloranthan role-playing.
>From Dark Troll jokes, Geo's Inn, through the accounts
of Skyfall Lake, Trollball, Far Point Roof Sharpeners, and the Wanderers and Oddballs section of Barbarian Adventures. This has been a long tradition.

At the macro level of Gloranthan culture and history it has less significance, but at the micro level of gaming - silliness has always been there. After all we game to have fun, and I feel that though our sessions consider serious issues they are better for being leavened by in-jokes, hammy over-acting, and anachronistic jokes. I remember an interview with Greg somewhere where he once said 'my Glorantha is a place of belly laughs' and I hope mine is too. After all Shakespeare had comedy even in his finest tragedies.

Of course YGWV. The point of these examples, I suspect is too encourage you to play Glorantha with a tone and style your group wants be that light-hearted or deadly earnest. If your Glorantha is more darkly poetic than mine, then more power to you - let's share our different stories over a beer.

But then I'm a heretic who welcomed Elmal, Common Magic, and Puma People to his Glorantha.

Regards,

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk