Hero Quest comments (praise/unhappiness)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 02:39:54 +0000

Mikko Rintasaari:
> At least in Finland Glorantha is appreaciated and respected as a deep
> and rich setting, not a silly one.

I feel I can speak for several of my fellow Brits (and maybe an Irishman or two) when I say that In These Islands(TM), Glorantha is appreciated as deep, rich, _and_ silly. Personally I think a bit of Silliness is one thing that keeps us from madness/Tekumel (delete as appropriately dire).

> But what the heck are the Puma people? I mean why a puma? Are we supposed
> to take it, that there is this new-world cat wondergin all over Genertela?
> Is it really so that american gamers can't relate to the game unless they
> have their "mountain lions" climbing the foothills of Kero Fin?

I'd guess that Kero Fin is one of the less likely places to find puma, since the place is positively loupin' with cats that fit into much the same niche. But Genertelan zoology has always had a "New World" (or more specifically, North American) flabour to it. One of the benefits/ hazards of having a North American biologist with such a large input into it, methinks. Witness the dread elk thread... (duck and cover!)

> And of course we have yet another stab at the elemental metals relation.
> At least silver got linked to moon as it should be, but Tin is, yet again
> another sky metal and we have the _alloy_ brass for Air.

The change here is simply from bronze to brass, unless your Way Back When machine is getting different results very different from mine. In the RQ3 and HW eras it was pretty clearly estbalished that tin=sky, copper=earth, and their alloy bronze corresponded to air, just as air is their mythic union. If RQ2 said anything much different, those synapses have been elided, not by the Canon Cops, but by Entropy. It's not clear if HQ is proposing any material change from that (unless it's that brass is in some sense _not_ an alloy, despite being "almost identical" to one, a slightly confusing concept, but that's mythology/alchemy for ya; I suspect it's in effect saying that brass is a 'special case' of bronze).

Cheers,
Alex.