Re: Hero Quest comments (praise/unhappiness)

From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:01:49 -0000

Some good comments, but...

>I don't like Robin Laws'es "lowest common denominator" style though.
>TV series aren't a quality inspiration for RPG and all the examples seem
>to be written with the assumption that the players are empty headed
>surf-dudes or something like that.

Ok, I agree that Robin goes a bit far in this direction for my tastes, but I don't think there's anything wrong with showing that playign games in Glorantha doesn't have to be all about studious plot construction and high drama. Presenting an easy way in to the game and world doesn't in any way prevent you from aiming 'higher', while presenting the game in scholarly mode would make it much less accessible to many newcomers.

>The Narrator (in the example) seems quite happy about a player
>generating a wizardly order from what is basically a silly joke.

Now to be fair, huge swathes of Glorantha were created as a result of silly jokes (Prax, Notchet, Gon Orta, Moon rune, Ducks, Grotarons, etc). Glorantha is a deep, rich and occasionaly silly setting, they key word is Fun.

>But what the heck are the Puma people? I mean why a puma? Are we
>supposed to take it, that there is this new-world cat wondergin all over
>Genertela?

Much of the wild fauna of Genertela is deliberately north american, check out this email on the subject from Sandy in 1994:

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/ndaily/1994.08/5579.html

" Since most of Genertela is, of course, like unto North American during the
Pleistocene despite the annoyingly European human cultures,......"

I suspect that the presence of Puma People is part of the eternal effort to present
new stuff about little, or completely unknown nooks and crannies of Glorantha in
each new book.

>At least silver got linked to moon as it should be, but Tin is, yet again
>another sky metal and we have the _alloy_ brass for Air.

I'm not sure about this either, but air was supposedly an offspring of sky and
earth so it being an alloy is no surprise IMHO. It would be nice to hear some
of the logic behind this though.

Simon Hibbs

End of Glorantha Digest