Origami (and HQ)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:52:54 +0200 (EET)

Hmm... I may have come across a bit extreme. As I said, I like the book. The magic/heroquestin/ritual material is much more clear and useful than the originals in HW, and the basic system seems to have the bumps ironed out. Too bad the simple contest archery rules didn't get in as an alternative way of handling archery.

On the metal account, I can just say that people here tend to be rather baffled by the brass thing. Tin for air makes the table so neat. Sigh...

> >From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
>
> >I tend to agree with Mikko, in that the some of the presentation is a bit
> >silly for my own taste. I can see why it might be done that way, I can see
> >why it is useful to demonstrate that you need to loosen up sometimes about
> >your Glorantha in order to have fun, but the Origami girl and sufer dude
> >did jar a bit.

My main peeve is that _all_ the examples describe very off hand gaming with very little immersion and speaking/thinking in character. Shouldn't that be something that get's demonstrated in at least the later stage examples?
  Grown men and women arrange time for RPG, precisely because it can be very intense and rewarding. Somehow the examples make it seem the players aren't all that committed or interested.

> I rather like the Origami wizardry, it's no sillier than some of the
> theistic gods and creates another new aspect. I'd probably place its
> origins in the East rather than the West of Genertala but it has its
> place.

Here's the biggest problem. Where does all that paper come from? One can't do origami with rag paper or papyrus. Are the Carmanians supposed to have some extra thin Kralori/Vormain paper to play with?

Anyway paper is insanely expensive and at least in ancient china, sacred.

So, I don't think so...

        -Adept