Re: Origami & Silliness

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:51:54 +0000

Mikko:

>My main peeve is that _all_ the examples describe very off hand gaming
>with very little immersion and speaking/thinking in character. Shouldn't
>that be something that get's demonstrated in at least the later stage
>examples?

It's possible that it was decided that people who already played immersively and/or intensely wouldn't need the examples, since they already know what they're doing, and that the ones who don't would either naturally gravitate to that without the need of examples, or wouldn't be interested in it and might get put off. I don't know whether that *was* the thought process behind it, but it does make a certain sort of sense. I don't game at all like the people in the examples, but it didn't put me off because I didn't feel the need to read them in the first place (though I can certainly understand the objection from an aesthetic viewpoint; de gustibus and all that).

>Grown men and women arrange time for RPG, precisely because it can be
>very intense and rewarding.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true of all grown men and women, still less that grown men and women are the only market Issaries has any interest in attracting.

>I don't think so...

YGWV :) Greg:

>As for the surfer dude: don't you guys ever get players who want to play? I mean PLAY. I have always had someone who wants to stretch thing, to fool around a little bit and so on. I COULD tell him, "Hey, this is a serious game! Play Right!!"
>Or I could PLAY the game.

Interesting question. I can say with all honesty that I haven't encountered a player like for a very long time... but, yeah, they certainly exist and IMO it makes sense to cater to them, at least in part.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic