Origami & Silliness

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:29:49 EST

<< Greg:
>As for the surfer dude: don't you guys ever get players who want to play? I
mean PLAY.

Trotsky:
 Interesting question. I can say with all honesty that I haven't  encountered a player like for a very long time... but, yeah, they  certainly exist and IMO it makes sense to cater to them, at least in part.

I was not really complaining or saying that the examples were wrong or bad, just expressing my opinion that they were not to my taste, and that I supported Mikko's position. I am not even in the serious and rewarding camp myself. I have a player whose character narrative involved taking a "Long Ride to the Blockbuster", presumably to get a video, and who has prepared himself for battle with an Arnie-style "Lance, three metres" has a zebra named Barcode followers called Zig, Zag, and a healer called Sheila. A Balazaring clan chief, on discussing Imtherian cheese once declared "If we can get cheese, why not pizza...get me a tropicana!"

I think that my position is that *I* would prefer not to include too much silliness in rules as games are almost always sillier.

Keith