Re: One Vague Thought

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:19:25 +0000

Terra Incognita:

>Second, Trotsky made a calendar of Malkionism, that didn't much
>connection to seasons (and yearly cycle of climate)

The month names are all based on the yearly cycle of climate (sometimes vaguely, to be sure).

>unlike RW catholic
>Julius or Gregorius calendar, that is firmly attached to the cycle necessary
>for farming. (For example, Winter Solstice is Christ's birthday in RW....and
>it is the proof that Christianity firmly connected to "Pagan" way before it,
>like Mithraism. )

A key difference between Malkionism and Christianity is that the former is not historically connected to, or in any way derived from, a pagan culture. Some individual Malkioni sects may have adopted pagan beliefs in the same way that Christianity has (the Aeolians are an obvious culprit here), but in general there's either no link or the Church has succesfully squished it, at least from its formal ceremonies - what the farmers get up to might be another matter, where there's a prior theistic tradition in that area.

>Hrestol didn't die in Autumn Equinox on the contrary of my
>expect.

I don't really see why he should. The Brithini were executing him; I can't see why they'd pick a particularly significant day to do so, still less a date that would be significant in the pagan Theyelan calendar. I mean, its on God Day, which is probably important enough and a good time for ceremonies demonstrating their superiority, but why bother waiting until something like the equinox?

>Malkonmas: Earth Day, Fertility Week, Fire Season,

That's from RuneQuest - I just copied it across.

>Third, martyrdom of Hrestol is important in Malkionism, though martyr is not
>patented article of christians,

Malkionism is, after all, not just based on Christianity.

>Fourth, christianity concept of Original Sin is always stressed overly by
>Confucians,

While mankind is clearly sinful and prone to Error if not properly directed, I don't think Original Sin in the Catholic sense is much of a concern to Malkioni. Now, the Brithini might think everyone but them suffers from it, as can be proved by the fact that they keep aging, but not the modern mainstream Malkioni, IMO.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

End of Glorantha Digest