Re: diffusion of Aeolianism

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:02:45 -0800 (PST)

Jorganos:

> Perhaps it has to be said about Heortling culture
> that it comes to the
> fore in times of deep crisis.

Yes, I agree. That's one thing I didn't think about.

> My bad, I guess. I based that dominance on the
> "strong western influences"
> in Heortland. Peter has since written a different
> story about King
> Andrin's reforms of the clans.

Still, even after Peter's clarification about Andrin and Mark's and Greg's Esvulari, I fail to understand the political role of Rokari in 1621 Heortland.

If Strangers in Prax were to be published now, Arlaten would be an Aeolian or still a Rokari, to be specific? And Mularik Ironeye?

I am going to introduce these people soon in my campaign and would like to give them an HeroQuesty (the game) modern touch.

Probably I will suggest IMG that Argrath Arlaten is one of the emerging Argraths of Dragon Pass (and incidentally a bad guy, I liked the dark option suggested in SiP for Argrath, but I am uncertain about staging him as a Dark Argrath or as a Misplaced Arkat)...

> > So are the Aeolians of Heortland such a small
> > political reality in western culture, like the
> > heortlings of Sartar are in the theyalan culture?
>
> Most of Western culture probably never heard of
> them. They came into focus
> only very recently with Richard's Kingdom of New
> Malkonwal.

That's another thing I didn't realized (even if clearly stated in Tradetalk 12, for example) before.

Trotsky:

> Most likely, yes. Indeed, one wonders whether many
> westerners even think
> that the Aeolians are western at all.

Their way of life at least is much more "western" than Heortling (tribes, tulas, simpler agricolture). Even if the same could be said about Esrolians, I suppose.

> Terra Incognita
>
> >I think still isn't enough romances in Glorantha

I agree with Terra.

> Probably because most of what's written are myths
> and histories.

No, I think that's because most has been written by cold unromantic males ;-)

ciao,
Gian

End of Glorantha Digest