Re: diffusion of Aeolianism

From: joe_at_toppoint.de
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:09:02 +0100 (CET)

Gian Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>

> Still, even after Peter's clarification about Andrin
> and Mark's and Greg's Esvulari, I fail to understand
> the political role of Rokari in 1621 Heortland.

Still there as landholders where Richard put them up. The Lunars are only too happy to accept non-Orlanthi as subject rulers. Heortland is not even a province, but conquered territory. Non-Lunarized nobility is tolerated, as long as it isn't anti-Lunar.

> If Strangers in Prax were to be published now, Arlaten
> would be an Aeolian or still a Rokari, to be specific?

Arlaten would still be a Rokari in my book.

> And Mularik Ironeye?

Outwardly a Rokari. Privately, I've always felt he would be more at home with the Galvosti (why not tap infidels), and given that Rindland is direct neighbour to Holut (the only place where the church of Nomia still is in power) in my campaign he has been raised in covert Galvosti faith by his mother who had been married to a Rindland baron as part of a peace treaty.

> Probably I will suggest IMG that Argrath Arlaten is
> one of the emerging Argraths of Dragon Pass (and
> incidentally a bad guy, I liked the dark option
> suggested in SiP for Argrath, but I am uncertain about
> staging him as a Dark Argrath or as a Misplaced
> Arkat)...

Arlaten as Argrath? First time I see this. I don't quite think that Orlanthi inclusionism goes that far...

As far as I am concerned, Argraths have to claim (and magically prove, but not necessarily actually have) some link to the royal house of Sartar. Now I know that Sartar did perform a Westfaring, which might have resulted in Arlaten's family line bearing his blood. But I find that highly unlikely. Neither do I see Arlaten proving his family ties to the house of Sartar otherwise.

Finally, the thought of a Rokari liberator somehow doesn't quite make sense to me at a time when there are few if any Rokari suppressed for their creed. Arlaten in Heortland? Maybe.

End of Glorantha Digest