Re: A saint's life

From: Barry Blatt <bblatt_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:32:47 -0000

Thanks for the input, but a few clarifications?

Me:>Clerics of the wizard caste have
>limited sorcery, but of a broad type drawn from several saint's lives.

Trotsky.>That depends on the sect followed, IMO.

I was just talking about the Rokari. Everything I have seen about the Rokari has said they discourage the veneration of saints, yet also says their clergy are powerful magicians - where do they get their magic?

Me:>Wizards, even clerical ones, can marry,

Trotsky>Again, this depends on sect. For instance, I hold to the view that the
>Rokari wizards are celibate.

Then where do little Rokari wizards come from? I thought they were strict about caste mobility, and they would not promote the sons of mere peasants and soliders to the job would they? I would see this a current conflict within Rokarism, with hard liners wanting a definite ruling about married clergy from the ecclesiarch, while in the meantime nepotism rules OK for the more unscrupulous Bishops, with the worst treating church property and episcopal positions like their own personal fief. (this happened sometimes in the early Orthodox church I seem to recall). They will have to come to some kind of compromise, or (more fun) have a schism and religious war.

Me: >Monasticism developed out of stricter rules for wizards who pursue yet more
>spiritual/magical power. They take serious vows of chastity and obedience
>and spend a lot of time grovelling to the Great Invisible etc.>
Trotsky>There are undoubtedly Hero Bands of these types, IMO. The Golden
>Chalice
>is effectively one such, complete with monastic knights in the
>Templar/Teutonic mould.

How big a hero band? I'm thinking organisations of up to several thousands here, controlling more land than many a count or baron, and being on the King of Seshnela's land grab hit list, if he dare take on gangs of fanatical knights backed by large bodies of magi. And with the lesser nobility existing on ever smaller patches of turf and getting more and more in hock to loan sharks in habits like the Golden Monks of St Onokos, who knows what will happen?

I'm more interested in them as a source of lesser conflict though. In the medieval Catholic church there was no love lost between secular clergy and monasteries, with the Franciscans often sailing close to the wind of heresy as described in The Name of the Rose. And if we asume a mostly married Rokari clergy, they would be even more serious competition to the slackers up at the Cathedral.

Baz