Re: A saint's life

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:34:40 GMT

>From: "Barry Blatt" <bblatt_at_ntlworld.com>

>Me:
>>Wizards, even clerical ones, can marry,
>
>Trotsky
>>Again, this depends on sect. For instance, I hold to the view that
>>the Rokari wizards are celibate.
>
>Then where do little Rokari wizards come from? I thought they were strict
>about caste mobility, and they would not promote the sons of mere peasants
>and soliders to the job would they? I would see this a current conflict
>within Rokarism, with hard liners wanting a definite ruling about married
>clergy from the ecclesiarch, while in the meantime nepotism rules OK for the
>more unscrupulous Bishops, with the worst treating church property and
>episcopal positions like their own personal fief. (this happened sometimes
>in the early Orthodox church I seem to recall). They will have to come to
>some kind of compromise, or (more fun) have a schism and religious war.

I would put it this way. All serious Rokari wizards are celibate but there are members of the wizard caste who are married. This is because they believe that sex interferes with their magic. The clergy are not allowed to marry and are supposed to be celibate so any nepotism involves illegitimate children. I think there is a lot of adoption by the women of the wizard class of the illegitimate children of clerical relatives who weren't as celibate as they were supposed to be. Technically the children probably aren't wizard caste but who's going to challenge and make accusations about a well connected wizard?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/