Re: A saint's life

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:12:22 +0000

In message A saint's life, Barry Blatt writes
>Then where do little Rokari wizards come from? I thought they were strict
>about caste mobility, and they would not promote the sons of mere peasants
>and soliders to the job would they?

I think that although they are strict about caste mobility it is not 100% true that every Rokari is of the same caste as their father, with some sons of the Noble caste being marked out as "knights" (soldiers - since the Rokari don't recognise Knight as a separate caste) and Wizards. In support of this I offer the non-canonical How the West Was One, and the following extract from my Characters character sheet...

"You were born into a junior branch of the du Tumerine family in Noloswal in the Duchy of Nolos. This marked you out for the wizard’s caste, and you were indentured as an apprentice to Rokari School of Wizards in Noloswal."

>I would see this a current conflict
>within Rokarism, with hard liners wanting a definite ruling about married
>clergy from the ecclesiarch, while in the meantime nepotism rules OK for the
>more unscrupulous Bishops, with the worst treating church property and
>episcopal positions like their own personal fief. (this happened sometimes
>in the early Orthodox church I seem to recall). They will have to come to
>some kind of compromise, or (more fun) have a schism and religious war.

This seems to have been at least one of the disputes within the Rokari church during HtWWO

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |