Rokari Monastics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:57:29 +1300

Barry Blatt:

>but what I
>meant was that it would be nice if there was some way of being a wizard
>that did not require you to be a liturgist as well and chained to a parish or
>cathedral heirarchy

Wizards are not required to be Liturgists. If you really want a "wizard" that is not part of the Rokari social order, then such people are called sorcerers. They are tolerated in Seshnela so long as they keep a low profile and don't do anything outrageous (given that the Rokari also tolerate the Vadeli, the sorcerers still have considerable lattitude for nonconformist behaviour).

>But
>I was thinking of a category of cleric who could fulfil some of the roles
>occupied by RW medieval clergy, such as most of the senior civil service
>positions, ambassadors, chancellors and court hangers on etc.

That's the responsibility of the Lord's Caste. The Wizards are restricted to doing the paperwork while the Lords make all the decisions.

> > AFAIK Rokari clergy are celibate and do not marry. There has been
> > speculation in the past about baby wizards being made at the nunneries
> > through the strenuous activities of the Father Superiors.

>Nice idea, but seriously there is a conflict between the lack of caste
>mobility and the celibacy of the Rokari clergy.

And the above explains it.

>My idea for orders of peasants was for peasant monks to fill the role of the
>orders of RW lay brothers and sisters who eventually gave rise to such
>heresies as The Free Spirit, the Fraticelli and some of the veins of
>protestantism such as Anabaptism and very ultimately the Levellers and
>Ranters.

IMO such movements are more suited to Ralios where every town has its own heresy. Rokarism is Evil Papistry writ large.

--Peter Metcalfe