Re: Rokari Monasticism

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:54:26 +0000

Barry Blatt:

>>Clerics of the wizard caste have
>

>>limited sorcery, but of a broad type drawn from several saint's lives.
>>

>Trotsky.>That depends on the sect followed, IMO.
>
>I was just talking about the Rokari. Everything I have seen about the Rokari
>has said they discourage the veneration of saints, yet also says their
>clergy are powerful magicians - where do they get their magic?

The Order of Rokar provides their magic.

>Me:>Wizards, even clerical ones, can marry,
>

>Trotsky>Again, this depends on sect. For instance, I hold to the view that
>the
>

>>Rokari wizards are celibate.
>>

>Then where do little Rokari wizards come from?

This question will be addressed in Lords of the West :)

>Me: >Monasticism developed out of stricter rules for wizards who pursue yet
>more
>

>>spiritual/magical power. They take serious vows of chastity and obedience
>>and spend a lot of time grovelling to the Great Invisible etc.>
>>

>Trotsky>There are undoubtedly Hero Bands of these types, IMO. The Golden
>

>>Chalice
>>is effectively one such, complete with monastic knights in the
>>Templar/Teutonic mould.
>>

>How big a hero band?

The Golden Chalice is certainly pretty huge, as hero bands go.

> And if we asume a mostly married
>Rokari clergy, they would be even more serious competition to the slackers
>up at the Cathedral.

The existence of a married Rokari clergy seems to be contradicted by some of the information we have on the sect (notably in the RQ3 Genertela book). Of course, whether this means that in *practice* they are all celibate is a different question...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic