Re: Changes in Glorantha, RQ to HQ

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:58:29 -0800 (PST)

> From: "S. Ben Melhuish" <sben_at_pile.org>
> To: glorantha_at_rpglist.org
> Subject: Changes in Glorantha, RQ to HQ
> I'm not worried about mechanics, which I'll probably
> mostly ignore, but
> more about the metaphysics of Glorantha. Has this
> changed at all over
> the 20-some years of Gloranthan publication? Has
> there always been a
> split between theistic/spiritual/wizardly magic?

IMO, the major change (due to mechanics but also to new sources like Greg's online excellent The World is Made of Everything stuff) is in mythic depth. Now we understand (more) why the various magical systems are separated, why they conflict, how to do heroquesting and how often, how to mix magics. Maybe all of this has always been in Greg's mind or in others' demigods, but I'm certain it never crossed the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific the other way around to reach Italy before herowars publication in 2000.
A lot of old Glorantha was mechanics-driven or mechanics-influenced. Now it is almost perfectly blended between mechanics and background. And Back-background. And Uber-background. And...

Ciao,
Gian