Rokarism Revisited

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:21:01 -0800

Amigos,

>From: "Barry Blatt" <bblatt_at_ntlworld.com>
>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:50:22 -0000

>Another bit of a go round on Rokarism:

Let's rock and roll!

>Me: >There may be communities that reject Joy where
>the caste rules are >followed strictly

>Greg:> As a Rule, the entire Rokari Church rejects
>Joy. Anyone who practices it is going to be subject to the
>inquisition.

>Hang on, I thought that you could only get into
>Solace if you followed
>Malkions caste laws to the letter,

That's what the Brithini say, and the Rokari as well.

>and thus to live
>any kind of life less
>hidebound and dull than a Brithini's you had to
>believe in Joy.

I don't quie follow his. Joy is an option, discovered after Time began by Hrestol, and expressing beliefs different from those of the Brithini. No one has to believe in it. Rokar in fact said it (and the other beliefs that Hrestol had, like belief in a personal God) was an error.

>Now if I
>have the theology straight, interpretations of how
>a believer in Joy can
>bend the rules will differ from sect to sect,

In Loskalm the elief/practice is that Joy bypasses Solace entirely and goes right to God. You can pesonallyexperience contact wiht God without the heirarchy.

>and
>Rokarism is on the strict
>side. Perhaps Rokar, as the third prophet, rewrote
>the caste rules for
>modern times (while claiming to be reviving the old
>rules)

Hey! He "correctly interpreted" them! He "refined them, to be away from the errors of God Learnerism."

>including things
>unknown when Malkion set out the first lot such as
>sex and death.

Rokar got the word from Malkion Himself! It says so right in his book!

>These new
>broader rules obviated the need for Joy, and
>stopped creative godlearnerish
>types making new rules up as they went along and
>causing disorder and
>sometimes Chaos.

Yes, he did do that.

>And would the Bishops be in the Order of Rokar?

The Order of Rokar runs the chirch.

>Or
>the Order of Mardron?
>Rokar invented the sect. yes, but Mardron made it a
>political force.

Uh oh, I don't have my book here and so I can't answer this confidently. Sorry.

>But anyway, thanks to all those who stuck their
>fourpennorth in on my
>original Rokarian post; I will modify some of my
>Pithdaran stuff, and may
>even get round to bunging some on a website.

Please consider sending your Pithdaros material to Issaries first! If it doesn{t suit us it can always go elsehwere afterwards.

>When will we see at least a table of contents for
>Lords of the West?

Issaries is working on that right now.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford