Lawsuit against Sharpsword killer

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:29:08 -0800 (PST)

My campaign is based (actually) in Pavis, 1619.

IMG, Garreth Sharpsword has been tainted by chaos (due to his inappropriate use of a Jrusteli Machine, discovered in the Cradle Vault under Magician's Tower, secretly connected to the Sorcerer Vampire Lord Potonis).

A hero Pc, a Carmanian converted from Invisible Orlanth to Destor, (so not really an heortling, by birth at least), just killed him in my campaign, after a climactic confrontation, having discovered his chaotic latent possession (Garreth got mad and ordered his companions to kill the hero, but the hero, instead of fleeing as I, the narrator, anticipated, retaliated and killed Garreth).

I am amused by this outcome and would like to play it correctly.

The Destori hero killed Garreth in a regular duel, not secretly and not cowardly. He (and only him) discovered his chaos allegiances, but there was another Orlanthi chieftain (NPC), Degan Stormson, who witnessed the duel, uncertain whom to aid but sure that Garreth appeared suddenly mad and murderous.

Legally, I presume, the Destori should have proved to a court Garreth's sin, so he could be outlawed and slain (after a vain cure attempt). The Destori is guilty of violent behaviour but he was right, acted in self defense and rightly showed no piety towards a predark slave (Garreth).

Garreth was not kin to him (the Destori was initiated by a Storm Voice at Horngate) so there is no kinstrife.

BUT, I think, as in KOS page 176-177 (Argrath kills a traitor and then "purifies himself"), the Destori has to make amend for his killing. Justice is a key Orlanthi virtue, after all, even in Pavis under Lunar oppression.
He has to pay a thane weregild (50 cows) to Garreth's kin, prove to a jury his self-defense intent (not difficult, he has a witness, Degan), prove Garreth allegiance to chaos (more difficult, but not impossible) and finally "purify".

Or is the weregild "purification" enough? Is this purification a particular ceremony, in your opinion?
Finally, is the Destori kin to the Storm Voice who initiated him, according to heortling law? I don't think there is an heortling, even in Prax, without kin, nor that the hero's Carmanian blood relatives qualify, again according to heortling custom.

Any suggestion is very welcomed.

Ciao,
Gian