Lawsuit against Sharpsword killer

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:57:20 GMT

>From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
>
>My campaign is based (actually) in Pavis, 1619.

>A hero Pc, a Carmanian converted from Invisible
>Orlanth to Destor, (so not really an heortling, by
>birth at least), just killed him in my campaign, after
>a climactic confrontation, having discovered his
>chaotic latent possession (Garreth got mad and ordered
>his companions to kill the hero, but the hero, instead
>of fleeing as I, the narrator, anticipated, retaliated
>and killed Garreth).
>
>I am amused by this outcome and would like to play it
>correctly.

[snip possibilites]

I don't see Heortling law applying at all, it occurred in Pavis so the applicable law is Pavis law unless the Lunars claim jurisdiction (unlikely unless a Lunar citizen is involved).

Garreth's kin might get a ruling from their clan or tribe that the hero was at fault but they have no way of enforcing it unless he has been adopted by a Heortling clan which recognises the decision.

The most likely result is that some of Garreth's kin turn up in Pavis looking for revenge or to get the authorities to take action. He might find it worth while to pay them off with weregeld but I doubt he would feel any obligation to do anything. Self defence is a pretty good justifcation for killing someone and a chaos taint is also probably adequate by itself even if he should really have notified the authorities and let them deal with it.

Argarth's position is a little different - he is a leader who has to kill a follower. The legally correct response would be outlawry but for political reasons not a good idea. Argarth therefore needs to show that he regrets not following the law strictly. I would think the purification is a minor Orlanth Rex heroquest as it is something chieftains find it necessary to do at times.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/