Imagining Superhumans

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:11:32 -0800

Friends,

>From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: how to imagine "superhumans" (Greg
>Stafford)

>why 10W3 barrier, 10W6 saints, 10W12 gods and 10W16
>mystical forces?
>
>Is that merely a game mechanics thing or is there a
>geometric rule in Gloranthan Hyperuranian Structure we
>are hinted at through these numbers?

It is a game mechanic. Naturally there are not any real numbers. It would be like us today trying to calculate how much Grace it would take to get into Heaven.

Nonetheless, the numbers attempt to measure SOMETHING. The structure comes from the fact that a W3 always gets three bumps, hence always rolls a critical success. Versus a normal opposition, he at least gets a tie. Hence he is a Master at whatever. And the structure progresses from there.

However, there is also an arbitrariness to the numbers as well. An abstraction, a sense of quantity which almost inevitably gets in the way of the story.

As game designers, we just hae to make decisons and do our best.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford