Re: Grace and Heaven

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:59:08 +0000

TI:

>>> Today RW people are still questioning priests to ask
>>> how many pater nosters and how much money they need to
>>> spend for the Church in order to gain a place in
>>> heaven.
>>> And sometimes, priests _answer_!
>>

>Such priests are swindlers.

I don't think that's a fair assessment - at least not as a blanket statement. Some are certainly swindlers, but others are doubtless sincere. At any rate, the question is, are there people on Glorantha who would give a detailed answer to such a question, and are any of them sincere? I think the answer is clearly 'yes' to both questions. But they do not IMO form a mainstream group, even in the West.

>>> Yes, but...
>>> Let's say I am Zzabur.

Or, indeed, a Zzaburite sorcerer. :)

>>> Would I not say that "The energies required to cross
>>> the barrier to the otherside, clearly represents the
>>> tenth exponent of the Universal Constant of Myth,
>>> which is mathemathically speaking an irrational
>>> number.
>>

>Sorcerers are exceptions in rule boundary of HQ, maybe your question seems
>to be an attempt to make complicated affair (like heroquest attempt) too
>simplified form such as an one contest of rolling dices.

But such people do exist in Glorantha, and would, indeed, give an answer looking much like the one above, IMO. And, should you desire complicated answers to relatively simple questions, one doesn't have to restrict oneself to talking to sorcerers - a great many theists, animists and mystics are quite capable of talking in gobbledigook and are frequently happy to do so! And I'd argue that the sort of answers given by our mathematical sorcerer only look 'simple' to us because we're used to mathematics in the modern world. I mean 'tenth exponent of the Universal Constant of Myth'; well, it all may look very neat and defined from where we're standing, but does it really have any more inherent meaning in it than something a mystic might say?

> But perhaps Zzaburi don't believe existence of Saints.....

Not as a general rule. Or, at least, they don't call them Saints.

> and MAYBE they are
>
>right and other malkioni are WRONG.

They'd certainly say so :) Of course, both sides in the debate can 'prove' the correctness of their positions...

>I think HW 1st Edition Essense Plane
>description was written too much from POV of New Loskalmi (Jamie's love to
>Loskalm and secret attempt?),

I had nothing to do with the writing of that in any way, shape or form. And it doesn't, to be honest, look to be any more a New Hrestoli view than, say, a Rokari one. Indeed, the descriptions of the nodes in HW (rather than the improved descriptions in HQ) looks suspiciously akin to the opinions of secular wizards.

>and I think it is the reason why its rough
>description of Immeasureable plane and Law plane was dropped in HQ...for
>even rokari (much similar to NH comparing to "true" brithini) don't believe
>superiority of Joy over Solace....

It's not as if you're likely to go there to find out in most games. Its advanced stuff. Indeed, it's Great Secret stuff, most likely.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic