Re: Re: Grace and Heaven

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 01:06:11 -0800 (PST)

The question was the measurability (in mathematical therms) of the Otherworld.

Ttrotsky:
> At any rate, the question is, are there
> people on Glorantha who
> would give a detailed answer to such a question, and
> are any of them
> sincere? I think the answer is clearly 'yes' to both
> questions. But they
> do not IMO form a mainstream group, even in the
> West.

Ok, thanks.

> a great many
> theists, animists and
> mystics are quite capable of talking in gobbledigook
> and are frequently
> happy to do so! And I'd argue that the sort of
> answers given by our
> mathematical sorcerer only look 'simple' to us
> because we're used to
> mathematics in the modern world.

Yes, but in my campaign I *have* a terrestrial astronaut fallen on Glorantha and his main source of information about Glorantha is a *Zzaburite sorcerer*. So he (the astronaut) *is* asking mathematical questions and he *is* looking for
mathematical/geometrical rules in his attempt to comprehend the Otherworld of his mentor and his own hopes to reverse the phenomenon which brought him to Glorantha in order to return to Earth.
Has he any possibility to discern a mathematical order (in terrestrial modern terms) in Gloranthan Logic Otherworld or not?

> I mean 'tenth
> exponent of the Universal
> Constant of Myth'; well, it all may look very neat
> and defined from
> where we're standing, but does it really have any
> more inherent meaning
> in it than something a mystic might say?

Precisely. Does it has a respondance in Gloranthan reality or not? A respondance which can be "scientifically proved and used" by a modern Avionic Engineer specialized in Astronomy (the Astronaut).

> It's not as if you're likely to go there to find out
> in most games. Its
> advanced stuff. Indeed, it's Great Secret stuff,
> most likely.

Is that the only answer?
When he (the astronaut) delves in Gloranthan reality and otherworlds so that he comprehends how to return to earth, he is not an astronaut anymore (maybe he is a zzaburite like his mentor) and he has lost any terrestrial memory too!
Frightening but coherent, imo.

Julian:
> We have to remember that Sorcery is based on Logic,
> so that it would IMO actually _require_ that some
> sort
> of comprehensible analytical statement of the kind
> be made for it to descend into / be manifest in the
> Inner
> World of the mortals.
>
> BUT : Is this a question of Form or Substance ?
> ;-)

Of substance, I think that form is not discussed.

So??

Ciao,
Gian

End of Glorantha Digest