Re: Grace and Heaven

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:58:50 +0100

Gian :

> The question was the measurability (in mathematical
> therms) of the Otherworld.
>
> ... in my campaign I *have* a terrestrial
> astronaut fallen on Glorantha and his main source of
> information about Glorantha is a *Zzaburite sorcerer*.
> So he (the astronaut) *is* asking mathematical
> questions and he *is* looking for
> mathematical/geometrical rules in his attempt to
> comprehend the Otherworld of his mentor and his own
> hopes to reverse the phenomenon which brought him to
> Glorantha in order to return to Earth.
> Has he any possibility to discern a mathematical order
> (in terrestrial modern terms) in Gloranthan Logic
> Otherworld or not?

Yes, absolutely !!

Given that he is in Glorantha, his abilities to perceive the transcendental truths of the Absolute are just as valid as anyone else's, although he will OTOH have drastically reduced social support for his vision.

Mathematical logic is a perfectly valid way to quantify, measure, understand, and know Glorantha, and discover her secrets ; despite and because of other Gloranthans' inability to understand the message, unless and until the astronaut / messiah-like figure uses his superior intellect to pass these truths on to the chosen people etc (cue your favourite naff sci-fi cult classic soundtrack music here, as usual).

> > Its
> > advanced stuff. Indeed, it's Great Secret stuff,
> > most likely.
>
> Is that the only answer?

No, of course not.

> Julian:
> > We have to remember that Sorcery is based on Logic,
> > so that it would IMO actually _require_ that some
> > sort
> > of comprehensible analytical statement of the kind
> > be made for it to descend into / be manifest in the
> > Inner
> > World of the mortals.
> >
> > BUT : Is this a question of Form or Substance ?
> > ;-)
>
> Of substance, I think that form is not discussed.
>
> So??

The question is : what is logic made of ?

Is it a form or a substance ?

This is the essential Zzaburite/Malkioni dichotomy, and therefore fairly important given the astronaut's primary source of information.

You may already know the answer to the question IYG, but it may be worth knowing how ordinary Gloranthan wizardry users would react to the astronaut's own brands of philosophy, theology, and magic.

Julian Lord

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"