Re: Sorcery and Measurement

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:37:29 -0000

"Greg Stafford" <greg_at_glorantha.com>

> No, this isn't another case of me ENTIRELY changing my mind
> with new data.
> I think that the material world is quite countable, an that
> the sorcerers are quite good at it.
> Nonetheless, the mythic world(s) can not be so treated.
> NOW, I DO believe that many/most sorcerers DO apply thier
> wonderful numbers to the Immaterial World. However, that
> doesn't make them right, and it is NOT useful to them on HQing.

I'm with Greg on this one - the old Greg before he changed his mind. This new Greg is in a terrible state of Error, which I hope to correct.

Firstly, if the sorcery realm is not measurable and countable then the Malkioni are not Materialists. What is your view on this point?

Secondly, I believe it is eminently countable. For example we can count the various Saint's nodes. We can count the connections between them and infer meaning from the fact that some nodes have more connections than others (Google Page Ranks for Saint nodes, anyone?). We can even perform hyper-dimensional geometrical analyses of their relationships.

I believe that geometry is vitaly important to much magic. Just ask the Buseri! The regular solids have mystical significance and the fact that the Great Pyramid of Raibanth embodies all sorts of clever ratios and proportions is absolutely related to it's magical importance. Greg, go sit on one of the excelent Pyramids in your viscinity and see for yourself.

As Trotsky said, mathematics itself is self evidently magical and anyone who says otherwise is in dire need of a stiff smoke.

Of course not all magic is quantifiable in this way, materialist analysis of this kind would be useless to a mystic. Any form of transcendent magic will not be susceptible to logical analysis, which is why the Brithini (and perhaps the Rokari too) have no truck with Hrestol's Joy of the Heart. Yet malkionism has a very different take on transcendence to other Gloranthan religions. I defy anyone to tell me that the magicians of the magicians of the Kingdom of Logic didn't use logical magic.

Simon Hibbs