Chalana Arroy and Storm Bull

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:11:45 EST

<< According to Praxians, Storm Bull defeated Vrag Kargl  Vozn, the Devil, and pinned him beneath the Block.  Living pieces of the Devil still surface from time to  time, so it seems that he's not dead. After defeating  the Devil, Storm Bull was weak, so retreated to the  Storm Hills to heal up.>>

I am not sure that it follows that because bits of him surface that he is alive. Life and Death are, afterall, not as clear cut for gods. Storm Bull was weak after defeating the Devil - so weak in fact that he died in the Storm Hills and went to Hell where all the other dead gods met him and helped him defeat the (also dead) Wakboth (according to Storm Tribe) but I think it was really Kajaboor.

I recently ran a Heroquest involving this mythic event, so perhaps it is worth sharing:

The Heroes were not Storm Bulls, but were dragged into the Eternal Battle by their enemy, an Uroxi Storm Shaman to help him defeat a powerful Chaos Foe.

I wanted to use Deren's Doom (a location in the Eternal Battle), so decided that Deren was either a son of Storm Bull but a follower of Lankhor Mhy (either way, perhaps he could be classified as a "a liberated seer"), or a son of LM and a follower of Storm Bull (OK, so I got carried away by a silly website generating naff character classes- "beware my Haberdasher Bard!" - and thought Scholar-Berserk, why not?) and that Deren was the guy (the first one) who Storm Bull rescued from the Pits of Entropy. Deren was one of the gods that went off to fight the Devil and suceeded in finding him and getting thrown into the pits of entropy, like so many others before him. Unlike these others, Deren left clues and maps and notes with his followers, the Grey Ones, (st p.134). He left maps in a way similar to the way LM had left writing, so that others could access his power. (this was partly inspired by one characters "fill out paperwork" ability, which I thought should get an airing)

Storm Bull was then able to use these notes and maps (with the help of the Grey Ones) to find the Devil and attack him from a position of some advantage. The Heroes got to be Grey Ones, guiding the Storm Bull to his enemy, while one of them had been whooshed off to Deren's Doom by a gust of Eternal Battle tornado.

Somehow, Storm Bull then rescues Deren from entropy - I think Natyrsa actually does it, with the help of the Grey Ones. They rescue Deren from entropy, from utter destruction, by recalling all the facts and memories they have of him - he cannot be utterly destroyed because he is remembered by magical means.

We were running short of time for the last bit but I considered having the Hero who had been "Deren" only getting abilities back that had been remembered or recorded by others.

In this case, our entropic "Deren" had a vague ability "sacred sky sleep" which was used to justify him waking up, like his Pure Horse ancestors, on a starlit field without any real explanation or memory of how they survived the Great Darkness. I thought it was appropriate.

Not sure if that is of interest, or if anything official is known about Deren other than his Doom. If there isn't it almost fits the pits of entropy situation better. If Deren isn't the person that Storm Bull rescued from Entropy then who is?

Either way, I think the relationship between Lankhor Mhy and Storm Bull is far more interesting.

Keith