Re: Re: Theists /= Gloranthans

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_uri.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:28:45 -0500

At 09:48 PM 3/3/2004 +0000, Donald R. Oddy wrote:
>In message <4.2.0.58.20040303071105.00b1c188_at_postoffice.uri.edu> Peter
>Larsen writes:
>
> > I don't know -- the Lunars are pretty inclusive. Maybe they are
> >moving towards an orthodoxy -- certainly, they have a political orthodoxy
> >that is parallel but not identical to whatever religious standards they
> >hold (and churches can have standards that the gods don't share), but there
> >should be a fair degree of latitude, given the "We Are All Us" business.
> >Otherwise it would be "We Are All Us, and That Means...." Of course, on the
> >seventh hand, the Lunars could all be hypocrites, but that's kind of --
> >definitive.
>
>Could be simply they have several orthodoxies but none has been authorised
>by Moonson which means everyone is squabbling about which one and what it
>means. Probably changes depending on what the priestesses think Moonson
>intends.

         Indeed. Another good answer. And what happens at the highest levels of the state/cult leadership is probably only imperfectly mirrored by the huge mass of believers and even the gods themselves.

Peter Larsen

Engineering and Physical Sciences Librarian University of Rhode Island Library
15 Lippitt Rd
Kingston, RI 02881-0803

phone: (401) 874-4637
fax: (401) 874-5403