Re: Re: Saws and Smelting

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:27:37 GMT

In message <20050202201234.22044.qmail_at_web51903.mail.yahoo.com> ALISON PLACE writes:
> 10:58 PM 1/02/05, Alison wrote:

> Quick thought here. Do (can) any of the smiths claim
>that their tools or weapons are made from the bones of
>gods who were originally crafters or warriors, and are
>therefore specially magically suited for a particular
>use? How would you tell? Trial and error?
>Divination? HQ knowledge?

Since even the names of most of the Gods who died in the Gods War are lost it's unlikely that anyone really knows or can find out. Of course what people claim isn't necessarily true or even what they believe so I'm sure there are claims of such sort.

> However, in Theophilus' 'On Divers Arts' (written
>c1120), there is a footnote that states that even
>though words meaning liquefaction of iron are used in
>various sources, it is almost certain that the ore was
>not melted, but reduced at under the melting point in
>a smallish furnace to make a spongy bloom, and then
>hammered at white heat to compact the metal and make
>it fit for use. How hot that is, they don't say!
>Considering that charcoal was usually used, probably
>pretty hot.

You could do that on a forge, without the need of a furnace. Basically you're using a hammer to break off the large chunks of impurities from the pliable metal. Repeat the operation several times and you'll end up with usable if poor quality iron. Good exercise for apprentices to build up their strength and experience of using a hammer without making a mess of anything.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest